Friday, May 06, 2005

On The Importance Of Shooting Too Many Photographs

I posted a comment to the article "Stop Them Before They Shoot Again", blog.photoblog.org, May 5, 2005, last night and figured not many people will see it. So I though I'ld post it here as well.
"Paraphrasing an artist whose name I forget, he said sometimes it is enough just to see the sunset. No we don't need to take pictures of everything, but let people have their fun. Some of those pictures will become important historic documents. The pyramids are fantastic, and the real treasure archeologists are finding is the work site next to the pyramids with the tools and letters, etc. of those people. [Else where] we are finding letters sent home by Romans out on campaigns and still marveling at cave paintings. They, like us were just living going about their business recording their experiences. The professionals will know when and how to edit their material setting standards/examples for those who choose, to follow. In the rest we can find a connection, a common place to meet. It might help bring some peace or peace of mind to people. There are some good points made in [the] other comments posted to the idea of too much. So I guess I've added, only wanted to add, that people are enjoying themselves and that, that is okay."
This morning, again going through people's pictures I have come across the notion that despite all our uniqueness in terms of abilities, we are all pretty much the same, equal. To me that's comforting.

3 comments:

Robert Phan said...

well said. great site. keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Good commentary. Thanks. Depend on me, I always shoot too many photos!

Rapunzel said...

Hmm. . . how is it possible to take too many photos? Aren't there always new eyes, new viewers, new perspectives? I think you made some really good points in your comment!!